Pixel de Facebook

“Urumea, the cider river”

Sport, gastronomy and Basque culture

“Urumea, the cider river” experience

San Sebastian has a river, the Urumea, with a long and rich history. For decades it was known as the Cider River.

Get to know the Urumea and San Sebastian and find out about the history of the surrounding area and the relationship with cider and the “caseríos” (traditional farmhouses). Urumea was the main highway that linked the villages in the rural areas with the city. Cider and the farmhouse products were transported from Astigarraga to the port of San Sebastian in an old boat called an “ala”.

An authentic proposal that combines sport, gastronomy and Basque culture. Offering the possibility of getting to know San Sebastian, the Urumea river and the cider houses through a descent or ascent of the river (depending on the tide) by kayak or canoe and sampling the traditional “sidrería” (cider house) menu.

Gipuzkoa´s Cidermakers Association organizes this activity in collaboration with Petritegi cider house and the Arrauning company. The Gipuzkoa´s Cidermakers Association will be the management of the reserve.

Duration: 4 hours.
Outings: Friday.
Languages: Basque, Spanish and English.


Please, contact us to get the price: visitas@petritegi.com

  • 10:30 a.m.: Sierra de Aralar, 44 San Sebastian (Loiola).Itinerary
  • 12 a.m.: Arrival at the departure point.
  • 1 p.m.: Lunch at the Petritegi cider house.

The trip includes

Guided trip along the river.
Traditional cider house menú.


Minimum age: 7 years
Minimum group size: 4 people
Prior reservation.
Payments: By bank transfer, paying 30% of the amount at the time of booking and the remaining 70% one week before the day of the trip.
Cancellations: Depending on the time of booking.
100% of the amount paid will be refunded for cancellations up to one week before the day of the trip.
50% of the amount paid will be refunded for cancellations made between 3 and 7 days prior to the day.
The amount paid for cancellations made 48 hours before the day of the trip will not be refunded.

Petritegi reserves the right to refuse admission.  Access to the cider house will not be allowed to people who are in an state of drunkenness, with symptoms of being under the influence of narcotics or aggressive behavior. The tour guide or room manager may cancel the contracted service at the moment without refunding the advance payment made.


Book your “Urumea, the cider river”

Contact Petritegi